COVID-19: WHAT EXACTLY IS IT?
Coronavirus or COVID-19 is a new strain of virus belonging to the family Coronaviridae and sub-family Coronavirinae. It is a zoonotic virus which means that it can be transmitted between animals and humans.
WHY IS COVID-19 NOW A PANDEMIC?
WHO declared COVID-19 as a pandemic because it is currently spreading rapidly across the globe infecting more than 114 countries.
4 STAGES OF A PANDEMIC:
STAGE 1 : Cases mostly reported from already infected countries.
STAGE 2 : Local transmission from infected persons.
STAGE 3 : Disease transmits within communities, infecting large population.
STAGE 4 : Disease transforms into an epidemic with no deﬁnite endpoint.
WHAT STAGE IS INDIA IN RIGHT NOW
From March 15, 2020, India is currently at stage 1 & 2 with 128 positive cases. Doctors warn that next 30 days could be crucial for the prevention of stage 2 & 3.
HOW TO CONTAIN COVID-19 IN STAGE 2 TO 3?
• Cancel foreign travel, stay at home. Opt for self-isolation for 14 days, regardless of the symptoms.
• If you are around an infected person, get tested immediately. Quarantine yourself.
• Avoid mass gatherings. Do not visit malls, theatres and public events.
• Practice good hygiene, respiratory etiquette.
• Co-operate with the authorities, do not spread rumours. Do not panic!
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19?
There are some symptoms may initially mimic a regular flu, but if one has contracted coronavirus, the symptoms will intensify
HOW TO TELL IF IT’S A COLD, FLU OR COVID-19?
SYMPTOMS TO WATCH OUT FOR
HOW DOES COVID-19 SPREAD?
- The virus can spread between animals to humans, vice versa, via airborne droplets.
- From an infected person through cough or exhalation, if not wearing mask.
- Close contact, hugs, sharing personal belongings.
- Touching surfaces contaminated by the virus.
WHO IS AT RISK?
Children below the age of 12 Older adults with co-morbid conditions like diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, cancer and immunosuppressed diseases.
HOW TO PREVENT CORONAVIRUS?
- Wash your hands frequently
- Stay away from anyone suffering from cold and cough
- Avoid touching eyes, mouth and nose with your hands
- Cover mouth and nose with tissue while coughing or sneezing
- Stay home if unwell
HOW DO I KNOW THAT I AM INFECTED?
MYTHS AND FACTS:
THIS INFORMATION ORIGINALLY SOURCED BY NETMEDS